Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

God's Word has a "Faith-Filter"?

I think this is perhaps a very good bible-study post-- perhaps one really good to not miss, So I really encourage this one to be read, as I think it can clear up a lot of misunderstandings that have actually caused me a lot of grief in the past...

Ok here is one of those very 'iffy-sounding' passages:

"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me."
Matthew 10:37

I'm still not sure if I COMPLETELY understand that passage-- BUT, here is what I think about it...
To me, people are what's "most import"-- I feel they are more important than "anything else", So then-- I ASK, should we love God MORE than people!? Does that sound right? I became very sad when I first thought of that-- Or is it a misunderstanding? Or perhaps we should love God equally to people!? BUT-- Isn't God a person too!? (Ok see, things are starting to sound really confusing...) but here, I will try to explain and clear things up a bit:
Isn't it that whomever gives some food to someone in need, also does so to Jesus/God? So if being kind to a person is like being kind to God-- CAN we love God more than a "person"?-- or is it somehow synonymous? I THINK it is actually somehow SOMEWHAT synonymous... --Well, I'm guessing the reason why we shouldn't FULLY love people is simply for this reason: Because us "people" includes our whole selves-- that is, not only our spirits but ALSO all our sins and flaws along with the lusts of the flesh-- So that evil being a part of "us", is THE part of "us" that shouldn't be loved, and is probably the ONLY part of "us" that God actually hates... (God hates sin, simply) Sound about right? Here is a passage to help back that up about doing good to a person IN NEED being somehow somewhat synonymous to doing so to God:

" ‘I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?
When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?
Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’
And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ "

Matthew 25:36-40

"If someone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?"
1 John 4:20

Ok here is another passage that brought me a lot of grief in the past:

"He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it."
Matthew 10:39

These are rather mysterious. But when reading that it makes it SEEM like the way of Jesus is more 'difficult'. . . That is, because, in order to "gain life" you must "lose your life for the sake of Him"-- BUT according to THIS passage Jesus' way should be EASIER:

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Matthew 11:28

SO-- whatever that "losing your life for the sake of Him" is, according to that above passage, it should actually be EASIER. --I THINK that "losing your life" means, "losing your former sinful self". That is, your "sinful you" should "die", so you can follow the way of Jesus. (which of course is, referred to as, "the way of life".) So why does it sound so "weird" and "cryptic"? Well I think here's the reason why:
I think the nature of God's word is to "sound hopeless" to those who lack faith-- but to "sound hopeful" to those who have faith-- SO the people who have faith should already be naturally seeking for all the hope "hidden" in His words, because they KNOW it exists, since they believe God is merciful (If you read that and thought it wasn't merciful, then, obviously YOU LACKED FAITH..right?)-- Yes, God seems to really "hide" His hopeful-aspects from the unbelieving-- to the unbelieving, it His words tend to sound like "doom and gloom"-- BUT-- don't worry, since you believe, and I'm explaining this to you, you now know God's mercy is always hidden somewhere in His words, you probably just have to look for it a bit harder... Seek for that hope-- that is all the "merciful exceptions" in God's word, it's there. (but of course while also not coming to false conclusions.)

"Then Jesus went out from there and departed to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, 'Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed.'
But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, 'Send her away, for she cries out after us.'
But He answered and said, 'I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.'
Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, 'Lord, help me!'
But He answered and said, 'It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.'
And she said, 'Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.'
Then Jesus answered and said to her, 'O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.' And her daughter was healed from that very hour."

Matthew 15:21-28

So here's my explanation, Jesus said, "It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs."-- Notice it that what He said may sound like "hopelessness" to someone who might lack faith?-- BUT to that woman of Canaan, whom had great faith, she KNEW Jesus was merciful, so she sought for the "hidden hope" in Jesus' words, then replied, "Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table." She found the "hidden hope", and her daughter was healed because of it. That's why it's important to seek the hope in God's Word. (and of course it requires faith to initially believe it exists) That is while still not coming to false conclusions.

So at first when I was trying to read and understand the bible on my own... I lost a lot of heart... because from what I was reading, it SEEMED like the right path was very "difficult"-- But I believe that was only because I lacked understanding... and so it caused me a lot of problems... (ie confusion) so that's why I want to try and explain this better for other people... When one lacks faith, Jesus words tend to sound like "doom and gloom"... But when one has gained a good understanding with faith, His words seem to always have an "exception" to those who believe He is truly merciful. It's like an amazing "contraption" is always set in His words to filter out those who lack faith. Snaring people who lack faith-- and helping people who have faith. Remember "without faith it is impossible to please God"
It seems like God's word is MEANT to be very mysterious, so that we have to work to help each other understand it... And that helps us to love one another, because we have something that we need to help eachother with.

See, here is another example that seems to cause people whom lack faith in God's mercy to overlook a certain detail, thus making it SEEM like no "rich man" can enter the kingdom of God-- But, if you examine it a little closer, at the end, Jesus says "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." So I'm assuming that meant God CAN send a camel through the eye of a needle, and even get a "rich man" into heaven even though it may be more "difficult".

"And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, 'Who then can be saved?'
But Jesus looked at them and said to them, 'With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'"

Matthew 19:24-26

Though why it says "kingdom of God" instead of "kingdom of Heaven", I'm not quite sure what the difference is.... hm.....

"And the disciples came and said to Him, 'Why do You speak to them in parables?'
He answered and said to them, 'Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.
For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.
Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.
And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:

[Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them.]
But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; ' "

Matthew 13:10-16

If you truly believe God is merciful, and that His way is easiest, then: Seek His "merciful exception" in all His Words.

phew that was a lot of typing....

No comments:

Post a Comment